
If there’s one of these ten movies that really surprised me it would have to be Winter’s Bone. Judging from the poster, this movie seems like another indie flick that you will scroll by on your Netflix and not give another look. But I urge you to put it in your queue.
Ree Dolly (Jennifer Lawrence of TBS’s Bill Engvall Show) is a 17-year-old girl who is desperately trying to keep her family together in a poor, rural area of the Ozarks. She has an invalid mother, her father’s missing and she has two younger siblings who are counting on her for survival. But when Ree finds out that her father put their house on bail, she has one week to either find him or lose their home. What follows is a descent into one girl’s own heart of darkness as Ree stops at nothing to uncover the truth of her father’s disappearance…or pieces of it.
Winter’s Bone is no doubt an amazing and visceral story but I remain dubious to the fact that it will win Best Picture. But I am slightly hopeful for the acting nods to Jennifer Lawrence for Best Actress and John Hawkes for Best Supporting Actor. Does newcomer Jennifer Lawrence have what it takes to hold out against Nicole Kidman or Annette Bening? Probably not, but in regards to the material at which the Best Actresses are nominated for, I think she has an excellent shot. As for John Hawkes, he’s been in the acting business for a long time and this performance will lead him to other great roles “yeah, the guy can really act” but he’s up against Geoffrey Rush! I think you may know where my loyalties lie with that one.
No comments:
Post a Comment