Friday, February 25, 2011

Inception.

“That van is falling…like…forever”

Can we just all agree that the true star of Inception is Christopher Nolan. I remember back in the day when he tingled our brains with his Indie hit Memento, and we all wondered what could do with a budget.
Nolan is showing us, especially with the Batman Franchise reboot, that big budget movies can actually entertain and be very thought provoking. What’s more amazing is that Nolan doesn’t blow his wad on every moment of the screen like any other big budget movie director (Michael Bay, are you paying attention here?) Nolan allows the story to be supported by a mind-blowing scene without having to rely on making them noisy, huge or long-winded. He crafts his story with the care of a toy-maker creating a magnificent puzzle-box that’s easy enough for the audience to follow and leave room to watch it again to see something new.
Does Inception have a shot at Best Picture? I still think there are some elements missing. I think that the Cinematography was okay, but not Oscar Worthy and Nolan wasn’t even considered for Best Director, which, sadly, I must agree with the no Nod. Nolan’s story-telling seems to be a little too-faced paced at times leaving the audience feeling like they have to catch their breath, which has your more adept neighbor asking (are you following what just happened at that moment?) which can either make you want to watch it again, or just be glad you made it through the first time.

No comments: